Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, October 3, 2011

Our World in Cappadocia

The very first impression we had of Cappadocia was how beautiful it was! I've written a series of posts on this place before but every time I looked back at my photo archives of this exotic sight, I can’t help but being inspired and awed by the memories of fairy chimneys and underground cities. I was only there for one day but I saw so much and took more than 400 photos on that day and walked like this journey never ends.

Here are more photos that I'd like to share on Our World.

DSC_0032
The rock formations were the result of volcanic eruptions of Mount Erciyes, thousands and thousands of years of wind and water molding them into the shape we saw today. It's located in eastern Anatolia and the entire area has a long history ranging from the Hittite Empire to the Ottoman Empire. During the medieval period, Cappadocia was home to Christian refugees, hiding from Romans and then latterly the Muslims who periodically swept through the region.


DSC_0071
The homes and churches built into the fairy chimneys are unlike anything I've ever seen and it's cool to see the exquisite views of the canyon from various vantage points.


DSC_0033
I’ll never forget the wondrous sight of the wave-like hills below, coloured with warm hues of pink, peach and cream in all its glory.


DSC_0046
The entire landscape was surreal and it felt like we had just landed on another planet.



DSC_0015
There were also many cave hotels and bed and breakfast that allow visitors the once in a lifetime experience to live in them. I would have love to go on a cave house tour, spending more time around all the exquisite carvings and fairy chimneys. However, being in a day tour did not offer us that kind of luxury.


DSC_0439
After a day spent of hiking and exploring we made our way out of the canyon and then headed back towards town. Before heading off, I came across this tree full of pots and wagon wheel that caught my eye and I couldn't resist a shot.

It was an absolutely stunning day in Cappadocia and hope to come back to see the areas I did not have time to see if there's an opportunity again.

The first series can be seen here. You can also look at other photos in my Cappadocia set.


Our World

27 comments:

  1. First pix reminds me of a military camouflage getting ready for war haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it's truly an eye opener seeing the buildings into the fairy chimneys. They are stunning indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha love the pots and cart wheels quite creative. tQ for the awesome pixz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shots. Makes me feel as if I'm there, but also makes me want to be there even more! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have been there fifteen years ago.
    This place is amazing and has very large cave.I remembered them a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what amazing houses! And these shots are wonderful - I really must visit there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last photo was really eye-catching indeed. Christmas decoration with pots? :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. I agreed that the entire landscape looks very special. I think directors can pick this venue for shooting. :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonza photos of what looks to me like a prehistoric landscape. My favourite photo is the 4th one with the hill of different colours :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow incredible sights, almost unreal. i hope to see this place someday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fairytale place with such intriguing rock shapes! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing photos - I can feel the history! it's like taking a glimpse into another world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful place and so incredibly beautiful! I love your captures! Looks like such terrific trip/visit. I'd really like to learn more about it! Guess it's time for a little research! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very unique shots! Wow! Awesome place ~thanks, namaste, Carol, (A Creative Harbor) linked up with Our World Tuesday)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful place. The rock formations are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That tree with pots, I have it too!

    Wonderful images, Life Ramblings! You remind me about our own trip to Capadoccia. It is realy a very special place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a unique and cool place to visit. I love the little homes and chimneys. The rock formations are wonderful. Great photos, thanks for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know how you could tear yourself away from such a wonderful place once you were there.
    Superb post and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really a wonderful place, I like, I find very interesting and some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, this is an awesome place! stunning landscape! a cave hotel sounds exciting! a pity you weren't able to stay in one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Looks like a very exotic place to me : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. These place is stunning. I can't believe that there is a place like this and you are right it's like you are in another planet. Great site.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. What exquisite scenery. It's absolutely gorgeous!

    I wonder what it would look like in a thunderstorm or a light snow. You can see the beautiful evidence of its design by the harsh elements - these photos are just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Like scenes on fantasy movies. Fascinating. :)

    ReplyDelete