Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

WW - The Fairy chimneys of Cappadocia

I had read and heard all about the awesome views in Cappadocia, located at the heart of central Turkey and glad it didn't disappoint me. Its setting alone is breathtaking. Having realized the immensity of the region and the few transportation options, we decided to join a local tour. Our guide was extremely professional and knowledgeable and her enthusiasm throughout the tour was amazing.


DSC_0431
The main draw for tourists to Cappadocia is the opportunity to view its extraordinary landscape of eroded valleys and unique fairy chimneys up close. The unusual rock formations so-called fairy chimneys were the result of a volcanic eruption and thousands and thousands of years of wind, water and lava forming them into different shapes through the valleys.

DSC_0049
Various types of Fairy Chimneys are found in Cappadocia. Among these include those with caps, cones, mushrooms, chimney columns and pinnacles.

DSC_0030
For anyone who has ever wanted to experience a hot air balloon ride, this is the place for a great perspective of Cappadocia! We also contemplated on going for a hot air balloon ride, but the price was 110 euros for a 45 minute journey, which was too costly for our pockets. I'm sure it's a fascinating experience but it's not my main priority though. Cappadocia is more than enough to blow me away, even without a balloon ride! :D

DSC_0408
People have made homes in the caves since prehistoric times. Some still live in them today as they are reluctant to move to the cities. If you ever wondered how it would be like to live like the Flintstones, I believe this is the closest you will get to experience how they lived.

DSC_0430
There are a few towns in Cappadocia that cater to tourists or backpackers, but I suggest staying in Goreme. It seemed to be the most ideal location for visiting all the amazing sites. It also had a lot of cave hotels and hostels offering at great bargains for budget travelers.

Apart from visiting interesting valleys, we explored a few underground cities as well as some ancient Christian churches which I'll be featuring more about them in my upcoming posts.

I've been to some very wonderful places and seen some magnificent sights but the Fairy Chimneys in Cappadocia were truly out of this world. I will never forget this magical place.



First Commenter - Lina

39 comments:

  1. That is one amazing landscape! Awesome sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...this is at Turkey? :p The place look so magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The place look like a fantasy alright. :D Yeah...those fairy chimneys....hmm..do they appear in Harry Potter? :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just look at all those houses in the last picture...goodness....so captivating! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is indeed extraordinary! It's the force of nature working to create this amazing view. The fairy chimneys are really awesome.

    Oh, I'd rather not ride on a hot air balloon over this stone sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool!! I can't even imagine being in a region that not only had great scenery, but such incredible history, too!! Looks like an absolutely amazing trip to an area not many people think to visit. I'm looking forward to reading your upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an amazing landscape. it must have been fascinating to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went ballooning here. Awesome sight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing! I would be so captured by such a landscape :)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing indeed!! out of ordinary sight :) hope I can experience and see that for my self someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is incredible! I wish I could visit here! I will have to stay tuned so can see your other pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting post and beautiful photos. Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow very interesting and spectacular. I love the buildings snugged back up against the rock blending in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful landscape .Excellent photos.Nice brief about the chimneys.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful place! How i wish i can go there too. ;)

    Happy WW!



    Mariposa's WW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't that a breathtaking place ?? I thought I was on the moon ! I have been there 2 years ago and loved it ! It's so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! Bryce Canyon in Utah has similar formations. So unworldly looking that you do indeed feel transported to another planet or a fairy realm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and magnificent landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, amazing photos. It does look like fairy land!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow these are pretty amazing! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing landscape pictures LR, I think I'd sign up for the tour too, you got some really terrific shots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Are u still on vacation mode? I'd be on vacation mode weeks after my return...if it's a really great vacation. Sounds like it from ur posts and pics so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never heard of this place. Thank you for the tour. You had an amazing adventure. Thanks for sharing and expanding my knowledge of Turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow i love the fantastic landscape of Cappadocia..cool!

    ReplyDelete
  25. HI Ramblings!

    Wow, very nice rockscape and what a view!

    thanks for sharing these great shots! Makes me want to go there too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've not been here so this was an extra special treat for me!!!

    I'm trying to catch up on my wonderful visitors from Wednesday. I thank you for dropping by and leaving such a kind comment. It's always so much appreciated.

    Thanks, and do come again sometime soon.

    Hope your day has been treating you well so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's truly magical! I had not heard about this place before reading this post but i now really want to visit this place.Awesome landscape and beautiful fairy chimneys.Look forward to more details and pictures of this place in your forthcoming blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm enjoying your photos of your trip to Turkey. I especially like the photos of fairy chimneys. I hope to see this someday.

    ReplyDelete