Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, April 12, 2010

RT-Getting Around in Istanbul

This is my 2nd time in Istanbul, my first time there was about a few years ago. The place is pretty much the same, everywhere you turn there’s ongoing restoration works, and the city just keeps bustling nevertheless.

DSC_0806
Getting around in Istanbul couldn't be any easier. There are frequent trams, funiculars and buses and the city is blessed with one of the best metro systems in the world. Most of the tourist destinations are accessible by either metro or trams. We never took a taxi as everything was made easy by city trams and metro. They were not only quicker, but also cheaper than taking a taxi.

DSC_0816
You can easily obtained tickets in kiosks close to each station. It is valid in all metros, trams, funiculars and other means of transportation.

DSC_0815-1
Trains and funiculars arrive fast but carriages are always crowded, especially during peak hours. However, pickpockets are everywhere and they are experienced and quick. It is something we should be extremely careful about. They usually work in groups to distract you while another one pick-pockets you which was what I experienced in Rome. My backpack was unzipped but fortunately, the pickpocketers didn't manage to get anything. I usually placed my hand-made money pouch worn under-clothing when I was out and about.

DSC_0809
During my previous travels, I observed most metro systems tend to be filthy and rather dull from an aesthetic point of view. However, there are few cities that explicitly foster arts in metros like the ones I come across in Dubai , Moscow as well as in Istanbul.

DSC_0808
This is one of the many stations that’s been decorated to reflect one of the Islamic cultures or inspired artwork on the walls of the line platform.

DSC_0813
The walls along the tracks of most Metro stations in Istanbul are tiled, and most of them are decorative tiles. They can be delightful and inspirational for daily commuters as well as an attraction for tourists.



First Commenter
Wishing on a Falling Star

30 comments:

  1. I've never been to Istanbul, it sounds awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing u were not victim of pickpockets, must always be extra careful esp while travelling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the decorative tiles, neat idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea...decorating subways with artwork tiles. Definitely a change from those ugly graffiti covered walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...the train looks so damn comfortable compared to ours. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...the wall about the route is very beautiful. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Tekkaus.

    Their train and station look so much better than ours.

    Love the art in the station.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The decorative wall is so much of a contrast than the LRT station at KLCC - plastered with all sorts of advertisement. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our MRT stations are beautifully designed and decorated too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to check out the subways of foreign countries I visit too. It's a great way to know the country and its people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The place looks clean. I like the painting on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The most beautiful subway train system I've ever seen, life ramblings! Thank you for participating in Ruby Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is good color mix, beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very nice and clean just like here in taiwan you may want to visit some of my photos showing the cleanliness and beauty of mrt's in taiwan and one thing for sure there are no pick pockets in taiwan as all the people riding in mrt are all safe on their journey

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi...love all the decorations in the stations. I giggled when l read your comment about Dubai stations. reason being l lived in Dubai over 25 years ago and we had little traffic, let alone a train/tube station. What changes! Happy Rnby Tuesdayzx lynda

    ReplyDelete
  16. The decorative tiles are awesome! It was a brilliant idea, indeed! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful tile work!
    I'm afraid I might get to looking at the artwork and miss my train. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a very nice and clean subway and the trains are good looking, too. I never thought Istanbul has this advanced metro systems. Now I know why many Swedish like to travel to Turkey for a vacation. Wish I could visit Istanbul someday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with ECL, our train system here in Singapore is comparable to Turkey, I've been there once and very comfortable with their public transport. Very very clean!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for sharing! they got really lovely murals :)

    u may view mine too here

    ReplyDelete
  21. hiya LR! I kinda like the artwork on the walls :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never been to Istanbul. Thanks for sharing the photos :)

    ReplyDelete