Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, December 20, 2010

Changing of the Guards in Athens

One of the best things about Athens is the chance to see the changing of the Guards at Syntagma Square. It is a popular spot for tourists who come to watch the changing procession and visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Fortunately for us, the weather was beautiful and our timing was impeccable that we were able to witness the changing of the guards ceremony. It draws quite a large crowd and I was quite impressed.

DSC09274
The changing of the guards ceremony is conducted in front of the Parliament building in the public square everyday. It takes place 24 hours a day, every hour, on the hour, you can't miss it. The big parade is on Sundays at 11am, where more guards participate accompanied by a military band. We did not manage to see the big ceremonial changing on Sunday, but it was still amazing to watch.

DSC_0922
The guards who wear traditional Greek uniforms, seem to take this tradition very seriously. They are trained to keep a straight face, very disciplined and wouldn't respond to all visitors trying to get a funny reaction out of them.


DSC_0937
The commander in charge even stood by to keep a watchful eye on the guards and make sure they were focused on executing their routines well .


DSC_0952
As their commander kept watch, we observed the guards performed the routine of stomping, swinging their limbs, military stunts and marching in unison, with the tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the background. It was fun to watch and is definitely something everyone should see while in Athens.


DSC09263
The Evzones are carefully selected for the honour of participating, and they must stand over six feet tall and have the ability to stand motionless for a few hours. They have pom poms on top of their shoes and wear a short pleated skirt with long white stockings.


DSC_0908
Do you like the pom pom on my shoes? I like their fancy footwork. :)

After the Guards finished their routine, we were allowed to take pictures with them but they are strict on some criteria like

DON'T STAND TOO CLOSE TO THEM
NO TOUCHING THE GUARD
NO QUESTIONS ASKED
NO MAKING FUNNY FACES OR POSES
NO SALUTING

If an Evzone feels insulted, he will slam his rifle down hard in order to get your immediate attention or either their commander will give a shout out to any annoying onlookers, so you better not mess with them. Obviously, I didn't get into trouble and managed to take a few decent pictures with the guard but I get a scary feeling and my heart beats real fast.

That's My World

Ruby Tuesday

43 comments:

  1. Impressive, well photographed especially the last one ...
    Happy monday, be safe !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that serious? Hmm...they must have loved their job very dearly. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this is such a cool routine to catch.
    they sounds scary, but so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sound very interesting. It is nice to see people keeping to old traditions and strict laws. It sounds like you had a really great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited Athens, but did not witness this ritual. Great photos - I love their garb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old traditions like this should never die out it gives a sense of belonging. Fantastic shots to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeeee cute pom pom on the shoes, if we wear them else where sure to make heads turn. tQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh! I've been planning to go Greece for the last 2 years. I envy you! I plan is one week to Greece - Athens & Santorini. You think it's doabale or should I allocate 10 days?

    Thank you for dropping by my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting post and beautiful pictures.Greetings Andrzej.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting and good series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photos are awesome and nice! I think all the guards globally are serious like robots! They are so patient! It has always been my lifetime dream to visit Athens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos! We passed by there walking from here to there quite frequently on our trip but never did actually catch the ceremony. I did hear about their rules and gun stomping (scary). Whenever faced by foreign military or police though I get this intimidated feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, beautiful pictures and very interesting..
    Greetings..

    ReplyDelete
  14. very interesting. i never made it to syntagma square :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos. I like their shoes too.

    Happy Holidays!

    My Ruby link

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ewwww...way cool LR!! wow...what a place to be and have a camera!!

    It's a dream world!
    Hugs,
    Jackie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the uniforms---from the skirt to white leggings and pompoms.;P great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw them in Athens too - I remember wondering how they didn't fall over with all those high kicks LOL.

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, yes! I saw them in Athens, too! I loved watching the changing of the guard and they are good! What fun memories! Thanks for sharing your wonderful, colorful photos! Enjoy your week and have a very Merry Christmas!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was cool to see here in the US at the tomb of the unknown soldier the uniforms greatly differ but the precision is the same

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’ve always been impressed by the discipline guards of any royal palace or government building exert. I think it must take a mind of steel not respond to people trying to get a reaction. Usually they are dressed in unusual uniforms that might take some bravery to wear. I’m glad they can give a “shout out” to any rude onlookers once their routine is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi LR! Wow they do look fierce right? So u guys took pics with them?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I'd probably be too scared to take pics with them cause it's so natural for me to want to smile or say something friendly when taking pics and then I'd be too friendly pulak ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wouldn't want to upset or insult an Evzone he he.. scared! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing sweetie, very interesting.....

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a joy to see and read your very good work. Hope that you carry only happy memories of the city.

    For a daily impression of it:
    daily athens

    Please have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing this amazing ceremony. How intriguing it is, and what wonderful images you have captured.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great shots. I'm always really interested to see these. My dad was a guard there, before he migrated to Australia.
    Sydney - City and Suburbs

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photos make me feel like I am in Greece again. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful My World Tuesday posting

    Merry Christmas and have a nice week,
    Greetings, Bram

    Link to My Word Tuesday post!

    Seen on My World Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  31. So, very VERY interesting. I would LOVE to have been there with you, watching.

    Link to my Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great photos! I like their uniforms and shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have seen our Changing of the Guard here on Parliament Hill Ottawa but never any other nations, I would love to see it some day. Thanx ever so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've seen the Changing of the Guard in London, and I would love to see this as well. Your pictures are excellent. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh wow! I love all your shots! It must be quite fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow!!Very nice!!!


    Happy christmas to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. lol @ NO MAKING FUNNY FACES OR POSES ..hahhaa...this is interesting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. The last picture made me chuckle! I've seen the changing of the guards in several places: England, US, and the borders between the two Koreas. It's always so mesmerizing!

    ~Tellie

    ReplyDelete