Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Friday, October 16, 2009

PhotoHunt - My choice

One of my fondest memories of Cameron Highlands was visiting a corn farm in Tringkap. It was a rewarding experience taking the kids to see the vast expanse of corns because in the city they don't ever get to experience anything like that.


If you've never had sweet corn tasted directly from the farm, you're missing out on some sweet, juicy and mouth-watering corns. It’s worth coming to Cameron Highlands for that alone.


It was incredible seeing rows and rows of corn stalks as far as the eye can see.


More interestingly, the local farmers can harvest baby corn and mature sweet corn ears from the same plant, how cool.

As can be seen in this picture, this is a baby corn. It is sweet corn which can be harvested when still tiny and immature. The cob at harvest is roughly three inches in length, and the tiny kernels are edible and popular in Asian cooking. The baby corn ears are picked by hand immediately when the silks emerge from the ear tips, leaving only one full sized ear to go to mature for sweet corn. This will ensure each corn would attain the maximum juiciness and sweetness.


Upon maturity, the sweet corns are picked early in the morning when the ears are cool, before the heat of the day is oppressive. Normally, sweet corns are ready for harvest when ears are plump, silks are dry, and kernels are juicy and milky. They are grown primarily for local markets.

I was told that the height of their natural sweetness lasts within a day and then the sugar starts converting to starch causing it to lose some of its sweet flavour. That explains why the taste of freshly picked corn is tempting to nibble but don't eat too much of it though, because raw corns will give you a nut case of toilet runs. Don't say I didn't warn you!




First Commenter
Wishing on a Falling Star

41 comments:

  1. I would love to taste juicy sweet corn straight for the farm LR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn is one of my fave things to eat..esp sweet corn with butter yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a terrific weekend sweetie.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A corn farm!! There is so much to see in Cameron Highlands. must visit it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to eat steam corn and they are great for soup too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like corns boiled in soups. My family makes nice mixed vegetable soup with corns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh! now you made me feel like wanting to have one of those corn in a cob, though not as fresh as your's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is definitely an educational trip. Agree that our children are so used to city life and it is good to expose to vegetable and animal farm life sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was admiring yr pictures.. so clear.. i tot of buying a new camera.. my hp one is not so good.. camerons.. its been quite awhile since i last went there.. :)

    oh, btw, greetings from www.reanaclaire.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had sweet corn yesterday, bought at a Pasar Malam.

    But definitely not as fresh as the ones you had in Cameron! :-)

    I'd love to return there in future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had fresh off the farm corn, but I did have some from the farmers market, which is not really the same is it?

    Great choice. I am still deciding which one to post. So come and visit me later okay?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oic...they even plant corn in Cameron Highlands? Well....I see the corns almost...everyday! :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really? You guy actually tested the corn there? No pesticide? :p

    Ouh...now I know why some corns are not sweet anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anyway thanks for sharing LR! :) Have a great weekend ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love corn!! what wonderful shots and great choice for the free theme.
    Happy PH, mine is posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your photos. It's fun to see what people choose for free theme week.

    Corn season is over here in NC but it was great while it lasted!

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Corns? I only saw tea leaves.. :P

    http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks delicious. Corn is a favourite in my food garden.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cameron Highland is one of my favourite place. I like the temperature and vast greenery if in comparison to Genting Hingland.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photo choices! I love sweet corn, not I have to put Cameron Highland on my never ending list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cameron! My favourite destination when I was younger. When I went back months ago, they have a new route from Ipoh, much more convenient now. Last time have to take one big round from Tapah. Have a nice weekend.CY
    www.tangcyee.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice picture you have ... so what is my free week photo hunter... visit my entry @ http://tz-photo.blogspot.com/2009/10/photo-hunter-free-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's been awhile since I have seen a corn plantation. Lovely shot! And I love to eat corn.


    My entry is here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes I can prove how sweet and yummy they are when it is fresh from the farm. Nice entry this week of photo hunters. TC

    ReplyDelete
  25. i was there a number of time but never get to the corn farm..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi!

    Your right up corn alley in my part of the country. Nothing is better than fresh picked corn straight off the plant to eat fresh! And then the kids like to play in the corn stalks when they are through making cobs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. that must taste good! it looks ripe for the eating.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful shots and interesting post. I used to grow sweet corn. I didn't do photohunters this week but appreciated your visit to my break post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. that was so cool, i have never been up close n personal with corns before. it is about time i plan a trip there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sweet Corn is one of my fav snacks! Oh really? It tastes differently if direct pluck from the farm? Must try it out if visit to Cameron next time!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's been ages since I've been to Cameron. Do they have highways up there now? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  32. My brother just went to Cameron Highlands during the weekend and came back with loads of corns and strawberries! : )

    ReplyDelete
  33. I do not fancy raw corns but cooked ones are good.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i've been there so many times, but i didn't know there's a corn farm :-P

    ReplyDelete
  35. hi ramblings!! how was your weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  36. i love corns and actually we're having some for dinner =)

    ReplyDelete
  37. So sweet! Thinking of steamed corns now...

    ReplyDelete
  38. i really should plant some corn soon. sometimes i am just too lazy as Mrs BB always complains to me

    ReplyDelete