Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, October 5, 2009

Ruby Tuesday - Lantern Festival

It was a night filled with excitement and fun for the kids and parents who attended the school family gathering to mark the Lantern Festival recently. At the same time, I think it was a wonderful opportunity as all the kids get to experience a great taste of the traditional culture.

Among the activities lined up for the night were 24-season drums, lanterns procession, a lucky draw and not forgetting eating lots of glorious food.

The 24-season drums are used mainly in Chinese festivals, one of which is the Chinese New Year or Mid-Autumn Celebration.

The kids mesmerised the crowd with a superb performance of skills and coordination as they moved energetically to the rhythm of the drums, how cool is that!

My son and his friends gathered joyfully with their favourite lanterns parading around the school compound to mark this occasion. It was interesting to see those numerous lanterns in assorted sizes, shapes and even icons like Doeraemon, Ultraman, Spiderman and so on. Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures during that night as I was too busy catching up with friends and savouring delicious food.

These days, sophisticated lanterns are equipped with battery operated which are perfect for toddlers but depending on the preferences of the kids, many older kids preferred candle lanterns.


Fun time : a group of kids posing for the camera with their favourite lanterns. Unfortunately, my son was camera shy and was always behind the camera. :(

The kids participated in lantern walk. They enjoyed the walk very much and many felt proud showing off their very own lantern on a walk around the school compound!


These cute lanterns provide a way for children to carry around candles safely


Hope everyone had an enjoyable Mooncake festival!


First Commenter - Donna

41 comments:

  1. I prefer the old fashioned paper lanterns. They're so pretty compared to the conventional ones and especially the battery powered ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha :D You have to mention it right? Not forgetting..glorious food! :p No wonder not much photos here. Because you were busy yakking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer candle lantern too. In fact I played the traditional lantern with my wife last Saturday! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww....suddenly I missed the days when I was younger. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dolly,

    exactly. the performance was truly awesome. the kids enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i couldn't agree more with you Mei Teng. nothing beats the traditional paper lanterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tekkaus,

    i missed those days too. i was enthusiastic towards the festival when i was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer the old fashioned lanterns than those cartoon characters battery operated ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That surely looks like a very enjoyable celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a colourful display of lanterns and I love the costume on the drummers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to see kids' performances like this one here, so cute and they're really good usually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope u had a wonderful mooncake festival with ur family. Enjoy the rest of the week sweetie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My night was full of heavy rain. No big and round moon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lina,

    those battery operated lanterns are more suitable for toddlers. looking back, the festival was something that i would look forward to as this was the only time in my growing years that I get to play with fire in a controlled manner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mariuca,

    the drum performance was truly impressive. i was amazed by the rhythm and thundering drums which sounded as though hundreds of drummers were performing. those costumes look cool and striking, aren't they?

    hope you have a wonderful week too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wenn,

    it sure brings back those wonderful childhood memories of the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  17. rainfield,

    yeah, it's been raining cats and dogs here too. too bad you can't enjoy the full moon. but i'm sure there's always a next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Life Ramblings, wow! Learned something today from your pics re the drums.
    I sure miss seeing kids with lanterns.....
    None here.....never seen any at the stores too....except Halloween scary stuff for kids, grownups too.
    And the mooncakes not cheap too....we get them here from HK or China.

    You have a great time, best regards, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wah! So busy eating and chatting no time to take photos? Hehe. Must have enjoyed yourself! : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I also prefer lanterns that use candle and not battery! Where's the fun in playing lantern with batteries? : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Actually, what's so fun with lanterns anyway? I prefer fireworks! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anyway, I realise that as I get older, all these celebrations like Mooncake Festival and Chinese New Year are meant for the kids. To me, Mooncake Festival is just another day except with more food and probably nice company : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks so much fun. I like the blue lantern.

    My entries:
    Moms... Check Nyo
    Yummy-as-can-be

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those lanterns are very colorful. Great shots. Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  25. the traditional lanterns still brought back most of the memories. not to mentioned the smell of the candles. i still played them this year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Traditional candle lantern..yeay!!!

    Nowadays, many parents get them electric lanterns (reusable) hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, this would be a very fun event to go to! Drums to listen to! and a 24 drum too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lanterns are all so nice... oh look at those paper lanterns! and gold fishes lanterns that is so authentic! Makes me feel the real traditional warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awww don't get to see you rson... look at the kids.. I bet they had so much fun they are all tired after the event.

    Did you enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cool shots! Bright vivid lanterns -it's beautiful. The ones the kids made are all so cute! I agree with the others comment, they kinda look fancy and not so traditional (but cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. the lanterns are gorgeous especially the last one! and such lovely looking drums, very traditional

    and i bet the food are yummylicious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the 24-season drums. I usually see adults play but these are a bunch of small kids! They are really great!

    May I add u in my blogroll? Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I didn't really see kids playing lanterns here :(

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi ramblings! I'm back..

    cute cute cute! very colorful, kids definitely enjoyed there!

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for all your encouragement during our down times =)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hearing those drums must make your body shake inside from the vibrations they make in the air! I be they are powerful and awesome. With 24 drums that would be awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete