Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, July 26, 2010

Ruby Tuesday - A glimpse of Vienna's market

If you’re looking for a real taste of the local culture and a glimpse into Vienna's famous market, the bustling Naschmarkt is the place to visit. It is an interesting mixture of Austrian traditions and oriental influences which dates back to the 16th century. We spend a few delightful hours here, wandering from one booth to another.

DSC_0188
The massive market houses knick knacks, ornaments, antiques, clothes, fresh produce , foodstuff and almost everything under the sun.


DSC_0190
There are some fabulous gourmet stands and cafes lining its streets and with the vast array of food and savouries all wonderfully laid out, I found myself in gastronomic haven. What I like about the place is the setting and the food tastes much better and cheaper than in other regular restaurants we patronized.


DSC_0185
A delightful array of yummy delicacies stuffed with creamy cheese. It was interesting to look at the display of vibrant coloured delights even if you were not buying anything.

DSC_0175
A lot of local people get their grocery shopping done here, as it has the best quality fresh produce than any supermarkets could ever offer. Yeah, any octopus I see now reminds me of Paul after he became a media star. I've never tried octopus before and I would be scared to prepare and cook it, and wouldn't order it off a menu.


DSC_0183-1
Every kind of flavourful dried fruits you could possibly need


DSC_0171
A colourful array of dried figs, dates and pickle fruits


DSC_0178-1
Fresh fruits and vegetables as far as the eye could see


DSC_0193
wonderful spread of Viennese desserts in a riot of flavours and fillings


DSC_0192
And no Viennese meal is complete without several varieties of cheese.


39 comments:

  1. Wow...their market looks like cleaner and more organised compared to what we have in Malaysia. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like everything can be found here huh. Marketing here will be such a delight right? :) Just look at how comfortable it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw...octopus meat. :P

    Eels...wow....their variety is really something huh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vienna is a place I'd really like to visit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos from the market. They are fun to walk around and check out all the goodies. Happy Ruby Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning sweetie, rise and shine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm Vienna Market looks truly awesome. I really like the cheesy stuff, did u try any?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to shop here one day and taste all the interesting-looking items. I bet they taste yummy and exotic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Tuesday LR, have a good day at work.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's one o'clock in the morning, I should have been in bed, but now I hunger for some paprika filled with soft cheese.
    I want feta cheese with basil,figs, dates, sugar peas, papaya, mango, cherries, kiwi,sea devil (see teufel), an prosciutto with cheese to go.
    Any bottle of Mosel white wine will do.
    How am I supposed to sleep without robbing my neighbors fridge?
    Any food magazine should hire you!!
    Thank you for beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all looks very fancy - love those striped awnings. I don't know about the octopus...it looks like it might swim away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like to see market in Europe 'coz it's very clean :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic market place. Looks like there is something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great series of photos.... you really capture the (sorry, can't resist the pun) "flavor" of the place. And now, like felisol, I'm hungry at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous blog!!!!!!!!!!!! love it, love it....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reminds me of our midi market here in Brussels with 400 stands ! There you also find everything your heart wants !

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's so much variety! over here, a market means a permanent building with stalls selling poultry, seafood, vegetables, fruits....and only open in the mornings. There's shops around the markets which sell the daily necessity too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why are you scared of octopus? Anyway, I don't like to eat octopus, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The market looks really nice and so many things you can buy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the heart shaped tag prices, cool...interesting ;O

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice place to be in when you're trigger-happy! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. the place looks busy and interesting! lots of stuff are in show case :)


    u may view mine here

    ReplyDelete
  23. I adore this market - really one of the best - and your shots make me very hungry for all those good eats!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So colorful. I want to try a little of everything especially the desserts and cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the fresh fruits and vegetables at markets. This is a great selection of food!

    ReplyDelete
  26. interesting! i would love to visit this market one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love octopus! Of course, I usually have it at Japanese restaurants because I haven't the slightest idea how to prepare them.:D

    Love the market. It'd be nice strolling there and soak in the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the pictures of the market, nice market not much crowded.I really liked that cafe area and also those dry fruits and desserts seems to look so lovely and in fact the vegetables looked so fresh...Thanks for sharing with us....

    ReplyDelete
  29. so much stuffs! i love shopping and I bet I will end up forking a big amount there

    ReplyDelete