Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, May 10, 2010

Scenic Sunday - Up, close and personal with Venice (Part 1)

The Grand Canal in Venice has gotta be one of the most beautiful stretches of water I've seen anywhere in the world, packed with scenic views, quaint streets and not to mention, the magnificent canals. There are no automobiles and the only modes of transportations are either on foot or taking a gondola, vaporetto or traghetti through the canals.

Our waterbus or Vaporetto journey began from Santa Lucia station cruising towards Venice waterways and canals. Everything I see here is absolutely unique, charming and it's great to get a taste of the architectural wonders of the city, feel the atmosphere and also discover the hidden corners on foot. We didn’t mind getting lost in the streets by walking around because there was always something fascinating to see in every nook and corner of the waterways.

Some people might think a trip to Venice is incomplete without a ride in one of the city's gondolas but seriously, I'm not one of them, and I might be in the minority here. The gondola ride is overpriced for a short trip and not worth the money. Nevertheless, if you insist on having a gondola ride through the Venetian canals, then by all means go for it. :)

In the meantime, hope you enjoy these pictures.

DSC_0614
view of the docked gondolas with San Giorgio Maggiore Island from St. Mark's Campanile in the background

DSC_0521
A vaporetto, the Venetian water bus or public ferry, arriving on the Grand Canal

DSC_0502
The famous Rialto Bridge seen from a waterbus

DSC_0506
A traghetto ferries passengers across the Grand Canal.


DSC_0679
sunset over the Bell tower (Campanile) of St. Mark's square

DSC_0697
While the sun slowly sink beneath the horizon, these lovely hues of colours awesomely lit up the beautiful sky and reflected upon the surroundings.

DSC_0719
The sights of hidden passageways, clusters of tightly packed buildings in the evenings

DSC_0732
Venice waterfront facing the lagoon

There are rumours that Venice is gradually sinking into the sea. I don't know how true this is, but if the city is really sinking, be sure to get there before Venice sinks completely out of sight.


Scenic Sunday

First Commenter

31 comments:

  1. Yes! I heard Venice is drowning due to the climate. I think I believe it.. I think.. Btw, ur making me jealous with all these photos.. lol! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY finally.. we reach Venice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gondolas LR, I must ride in one....I must! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard that abt Venice too but I do hope it's not true!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love ur pics this post, ultra romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouh...so the grand canal is one of the "river" there? :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. No other forms of transportation? Wow...very good. Means that this place is very green? :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. The place is so damn beautiful. Hope that I can be there one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are incredible shots. I suppose the gondola is to Venice what the carriage ride is to Manhattan. Sometimes it's enough to watch. Beautiful, beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos LR, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos depict a charming place--one I hope to visit someday. I love the evening sun photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Venice is beautiful. Love the canal with the gondolas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic shots.It is a beautiful place. Love to visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Venice is such a beautiful and romantic city.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the post.There is a certain uniqueness about Venice.Lovely pictures.Would love to visit the place one day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never been to Venice and I wish to, one day. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have always wanted to visit here. looks so beautiful. love the pics.

    Tina from
    Mummy Diaries
    Gossip Avenue
    Travel Shack
    Game FreakZ

    ReplyDelete
  18. LR: Having been there 6 weeks ago these photos bring back many memories. You did a wonderful job of capturing them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi LR! wow i really enjoyed looking at these pictures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hmm how much does a gondola ride cost?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Of all the places in the world I'd love to visit the top of the list is Venice. Your photos seem to capture the essence of a magical place.
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. we better put venice in our itinerary soon if that's the case!

    belated mother's day greeting to you LR!

    hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well i wasn't aware of the fact that Venice is drowning.For me, Venice trip without a gondola ride is incomplete.Look forward to hearing from you soon again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your photos are spectacular. It looks like a magical city.

    I hope it doesn't sink out of a sight. That can't be true.

    That sunset over the Bell tower is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice photos! I feel like going to Venice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Monica,

    thanks for looking and appreciating my pics. the gondola rides are very expensive starting from 100 euros (about RM470) for a 40 minute ride and they can be more expensive at night.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hehee, when I think of Venice I remember that music video of Madonna shoot in Venice. I fell in love to the place but not the video though.
    Venice will always be the city of waters. You captured it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete