Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, September 14, 2009

Ramadan Bazaar @ Butterworth, Penang

As the month of Ramadan enter its third week, many have started preparing for Hari Raya by shopping at the bazaars. I've always look forward to Ramadan as this is the only time when traditional Malay delicacies and sweet delights are sold in abundance.

Multiple stalls are operated nationwide at the side of the busy main road selling anything under one roof.

There are over 100 stalls here selling not only tasty delights but also traditional outfits such as songket, songkok, baju Melayu, shoes, scarfs and accessories


Many food stalls were set up as early as 4.00pm and the place is usually congested at 5p.m. after office hours. Just about anything is sold here, from fried and honey-barbequed chicken to chicken rice of various types, fried and soupy noodles, the provincial nasi dagang, satay, murtabak, otak-otak and various kuih as well as colourful drinks.

Everything looked so interesting and some temptations were just impossible to resist. With its pungent aroma, my knees got all wobbly and I couldn't resist buying some of my favourite delights at the bazaar.

The colourful spread of kuih looks enticing.

Many delightful arrays of homemade kuih were sold which are seldom seen on normal days. Kuih stalls are usually the first thing people make a beeline for and normally the first to finish.



For rice dish, the famous ones include Nasi Ayam Berempah, Nasi Kerabu, Nasi Minyak, Nasi Campur and Nasi Dagang.

a wide variety of scrumptious looking curries and sambal



These Murtabak, crepes stuffed with egg, chicken/beef/mutton and onions is another lip smacking affair in the bazaar.

The taste of the otak-otak is completely out of this world and I usually buy them in bulk. It is a fish based food made by mixing fish paste, usually mackerel with a mixture of hot spices including chillies, garlic, shallots, turmeric, lemon grass and coconut milk. The mixture is then wrapped in a banana leaf, grilled over a charcoal fire.

variety of exotic drinks to quench your thirst

I've been frantically eating lots of these yummy delicacies over the past few weeks. I wonder what my cholesterol level reads today.

First Commenter - Mariuca
Meow Diaries

32 comments:

  1. Wah so much food LR! My fave nasi dagang oso got! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ikan percik/bakar oso looks nice....I've yet to find yummy ones this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy I got FC for this yummy post woo hoo! Can we have meows here today LR? He he! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aiya! Missed FC! BEaten by Mariuca! : (

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW! So many nice foods! But I'm a bit concerned with those colourful drinks and kueh! Sure lots of artificial colours there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But the murtabak and the different types of nasi are so yummy!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food is making me hungry. I was preparing for sleep. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. seeing this makes me miss my home back in the Phils...there I can indulge with such treats...cimilar treats

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just finished preparing my lunch so after seeing the foods you posted i can eat happily...too bad i can't have a taste of your foods there

    happy monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! Mau surely did it again! She is chopping your blog badly! LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time surely flies huh! We are now already in the final week of Ramadhan! I haven't been to any Bazaar yet this year. Perhaps it was due to the H1N1? :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to frequent these bazaar with my wife during Ramadhan. We would buy so many foods. LOL :D

    Just look at the nasi dagang! Yum! Yum! :) The otak otak! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delightful LR both in the shots and so so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it would take me many days to satisfy my sweet tooth there!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are marvelous....really outstanding!!

    Oh I wish our weather would change and I could get out and get some good shots!!

    Hugs,
    Jackie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ramadhan bazaars are everywhere these days. And with so much food, people can go bonkers over the variety.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't believe that Ramadhan almost ends and Hari Raya is coming soon!

    Gonna miss the pasar ramadhan. I took almost a month off cooking. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh! I love sweets...But what i love about Ramadan is nonveg foods ...so many receppies of chiken with different type of parathas and sweets...:)

    you know one thing? this year we have idd and Durga puja back to back...so garment markets are really hot!! :)

    Nice shot...wish to taste some of those sweets! he he

    ReplyDelete
  19. ayam percik is the best ramadhan food I enjoy! Murtabak, I still feel indians make better! Oh Roti John is nice! Oh Gosh! this ramadhan I only managed to eat once! Gasps!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ohhh! you making me hungry!...love bazaar shopping! you can feel the beat/pulse of the community...

    nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg! those pix look so mouth watering! merely by looking at them makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a lot of fun. It kind of reminds me of flea markets out here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. during ramadan, people also take advantage to sell clothings.. =P

    kenwooi.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love otak-otak!! hmmm I'm gonna buy some later...yum! yum! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, the food variety is awesome! you've got so many to choose from. drools. :p

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those dishes look like dining paradise!!! Hungry now?? I am!

    ReplyDelete