Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, March 21, 2011

My World - A walk in Getreidegasse alley, Salzburg

A visit to Salzburg will most likely land you at the Getreidegasse alley, an old town section of the city. A place where absolutely every tourist goes to, very busy and very expensive compared to the rest of the city.

The street is a pedestrian zone and high narrow houses can be seen side by side in the hilly city, where the artisans used to live back during its heyday.

DSC_0540
We strolled through the quaint lane of Getreidegasse and found a wide array of elegant shops selling jewelry, leather goods, Easter eggs, perfumes, eateries and high-end boutiques along the street. I didn't buy anything but I did enjoy taking pictures and people watching on this luxury-laden street.


DSC_0547
As we walked further, we passed by The Judengasse, another pedestrian lane which is an extension of the Getreidegasse. Most of these houses have kept up their charm and I found this well maintained street quaint and very appealing.



DSC_0541
Almost all store signs I noticed are made of beautifully crafted wrought iron hanging above the stores.


DSC_0546
All famous and big labels from Louis Vuitton to Boss and from Swarovski to Polo are all represented in this shopping lane. I don't think I've seen such amazing advertising signs like that before.


DSC_0342
I also discovered that most of these wrought iron signs have been there for centuries. They are elaborately decorated with dates, unique symbols and the name of the owners, so they often tell their own history.



DSC_0545
Located at the end of the Getreidegasse, is St. Blaise's Church (Blasiuskirche), built in the fourteenth century. The exterior of the church looks rather plain and not as luxurious and ornately decorated as the others, but I found it very fascinating and charming. According to my guide book, the church was affiliated with Salzburg's civic hospital and named after St.Blaise, the saint of throat ailments. The locals also refer to the church as the Civic Hospital Church or Church of the Holy Spirit.

That's My World

33 comments:

  1. Getreidegasse is one of my favourites in Salzburg, too! I like especially the business signs on the houses, which you illustrated so well. This is also the place I ate the famous Salzburger Knockerl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wrought iron signs are very elegant, stylish and well made by true artisans and tell the story of a bygone era. Once again fantastic photos :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That structure (Church) at the end of the street is very unique seems to merge with the geological setting ! very nice, thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this street and took a photo of the Stassny store front. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is old? But the place looks very new...I mean very well planned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...the streets look exactly like what we watch in the movies. :) Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They really put in a lot of efforts for all the details they put into their signs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those ornate wrought iron signs are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your tour of this little area, I enjoy it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the report from Salzburg.
    Greetings from Switzerland
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos from very nice place !!!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi LR!! I am here today, hugs! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do have a great eye for detail, I think the signs are gorgeous too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it great to look back at your vacay pics and remember all the cool things you did back then...?:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures, happy Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pictures again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome, walking in a luxury-laden street with interesting history. Thanks for sharing your photos. I felt like I walked with you in this street.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the buildings and the wrought iron signs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you have totally put Salzburg on the to-visit list for me! I didn't know anything about it before but this post and your previously one (with the golden ball) have convinced that I need to visit there. These are gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Getreidegasse is absolutely charming, and I like your first photo with the church at the end. I would enjoy strolling through this beautiful lane, but, like you, I don't think I would be buying anything.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So picturesque! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was there, pretty nice and romantic narrow streets :) was just like a maze.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Photos are good souvenirs, won't cost you anything. I look and photograph too when I browse through these kind of stores.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the wonderful walk to a city I've been to about two decades ago. Thank you for the memories. Please have a good Tuesday.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a delightful look at Getreidegasse!! I would love to stroll up and down there! I have been to Salzburg, but didn't get to this area! The signs are fantastic! You got such terrific shots to share with us and to bring back lovely memories! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks like a fantastic city to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful shots of narrow lanes with high rise buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They got their ways with creative nice designs for the wrought iron signs. The location of the Church is very strategic like a bowling alley leading the path for a strike right into the doors..

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow i really love those wrought iron signs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful captures but the last one is stunning, great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful photos! I added your link to my blog:)

    ReplyDelete