Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, March 28, 2011

My World - Lady Justice, Salzburg

DSC_0586-2
Many of you might be familiar with the famous statue of Lady Justice. She has been the symbol of right and wrong since the early Greeks.

While doing some research on this subject, I found many depictions of Lady Justice. The iconic figure is often depicted blindfolded, holding a sword with scales but the one that I've encountered is so wonderfully different.

Unlike many representations of Lady Justice, this statue is portrayed with wings, wears no blindfold, holds the scales of justice while stomping on the devil into the fiery pits of hell. I absolutely love the modern representation of the statue although the devil looks kinda creepy to me. The inspiring lady figure faces hundreds of visitors who make their way around the streets of Judengasse daily and it's hard to pass by this statue without noticing it.

She wonderfully represents fairness, balance and justice of the law in her own classy way. I hope she would continue to seek the truth for justice.

That's My World

26 comments:

  1. I remember the blind folded one ... good story behind it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. morning LR..nice pic! :) hmm why do u think she's wearing a blindfold and holding a scale eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the image of devil being stomped by Lady Justice.

    Justice will prevail! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the interesting story and the good picture.
    Greetings
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing the story behind...nice shot! PinayMum - Mommy's Life Around...wishing you a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The statue is wonderful and your photo!!
    I think you visited the cemeteries of Salzburg, is attraction...
    Greetings
    Have a nice week !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a Libra - so I can relate to the need for fairness and balance. This is a gorgeous statue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to this version better than the common one. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes, sadly, the Scales of Justice don't always go the way you would like. I'm glad Lady Justice has the devil under control :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope this Lady Justice never flies away … the “devil” beneath her feet certainly looks like he needs a good stomping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, can truly relate better to this Lady of Justice! And we do have a lot of devils these days that need stomping! Wonderful post for the day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen the Lady Justice in a Hong Kong TVB serial. I love this statue because she is stepping on the devil. Let justive prevails!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful statue and a great photo. I like her outflung arm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If ever I'm in trouble with the Law, I hope Lady Justice is on my side!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This lady totally rocks. May she git 'er done for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is definitely a different depiction than I'm familiar with - nice shot and explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful picture - and look at her cool boots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very interesting. this reminds of Michael the archangel but without the sword.:p great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Indeed very original ! The wings are probably there to show that justice can fly away, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great story and photo of the Lady justice. I love how she is stomping on the devil. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the story sweetie, informative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Tuesday, here's wishing u a wonderful week with a wonderful surprise in store he he! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful and colorful statue of Lady Justice.

    ReplyDelete