Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My World - The Arch of Constantine, Rome

Like many ancient architectures in Rome, the Arch of Constantine is one of the best preserved monuments we've seen and it stands right next to Colosseum.

DSC_0723
The monument was built to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge on October 28, 312AD. It was dedicated in 315 and is one of three Triumphal Arches still standing in Rome, with the Arch of Titus and Arch of Septimius Severus. The hill seen in the background is Palantine Hill.


DSC_0733
I noticed that every inch of the wall had intricate details and each seems to tell a story or symbolise something significant.


DSC_0730
These two roundels depict Licinius (Constantine's co-emperor during the era) on a lion hunt and Constantine sacrificing to Hercules. The friezes shown below the roundels were from the period of Constantine. It was the style of the 4th century where people were depicted with shorter bodies and large eyes.


DSC_0729
I was told that a good vantage point from Colosseum offers an impressive view of this imposing monument but we didn't manage to go inside the Colosseum as it was already closed when we arrived. Nevertheless, it was rewarding taking a stroll around the surrounding area observing the architectural splendour and sculpted images up close.

That's My World

20 comments:

  1. You've portrayed really well this wondrous city of Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. many details to pay attention to and photograph. we breezed thru this place without stopping, what a pity.

    happy belated mother's day. hoped it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful and informative post. I have never been to Italy but have enjoyed traveling through your photos. They are great, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos. Most sculpted images on monuments tell a story :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how these details have survived through the ages. The one time we visited Rome I was surprised to see so many ruins right in the heart of the city. It is nice that they were allowed to remain, too often such things are torn down to make way for the new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb captures! I've always wanted to go to Rome! I've been to Italy, but we were unable to get to Rome at the time. I would have so loved to see these! They are awesome and I love the feeling of being surrounded by so much history! Thanks for sharing! Hope your week is off to a great start!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the attention to details in your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for that architectural description... beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Italy is one of the best countries....great catch for my world,,,, Have a nice weekdays! I hope to see you around @ my little world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a nice part of Rome. I like the focus of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that in ancient times people paid so much attention to decorations and how things looked like. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tour LR! lovely place =)

    happy mother's day dear! am late as ever but here I am =)

    hope all is well on your end

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice places.I didn't know such places.
    There are a lot of things which I have to learn from this post because I like an architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos, sweet memories !!!
    Thank you!
    Greetings and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful place, full of history!
    Very good photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful shot, a handsome frame and tones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too bad that you missed out on the Colosseum, but looking at it from outside is just as mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love your photos. i hope to see Rome in person one of these days.:p

    ReplyDelete