Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Monday, October 10, 2011

Our World - Salzburg Cathedral

When in Salzburg, it will be hard to miss the Salzburg Cathedral (Salzburger Dom) which seems to dominate the skyline in the old town section of the city. With its imposing Baroque architecture and its amazing structures, I was awestruck by the glorious sight of the cathedral.

DSC_0315
The cathedral was originally built in the year 774, but it has suffered a lot since that time, including a few fires. The cathedral that you can see today was built in the 17th Century (construction started in 1614). However on October 16th, 1944 (during World War II), the US Air Force dropped a bomb on the cathedral, collapsing the dome. It was then restored in 1959 in Baroque style.


DSC_0253
Standing guard at the entrance of the dom is the statue of St Peter who was seen holding two huge keys. One key is gold and the other silver, representing heaven and hell respectively.


DSC_0269
As we walked inside, I knew we were in for a special treat. I'm a big fan of cathedral architecture and the entire interior of this sacred space was literally breathtaking.

DSC_0266
The ceiling frescoes depict scenes from the crucifixion, resurrection, judgment, and the Old Testament bible stories.

DSC_0306
Near the entrance, it also houses a medieval font in which Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was baptized.

DSC_0282
Unlike other European cathedrals I've seen, this cathedral has octagonal shape domes. The central of the dome is a sculpted dove representing the Holy Spirit.


DSC_0305
There were very few people when I visited, so I took a moment to stop, pray and sit on the pew looking at all the intricate details and thinking of the thoughts, talent and time it took to build this awesome cathedral. We walked up and down the aisles, paying attention to the details of this exquisite place. You could almost feel the grandeur of Salzburg's glorious history in every corner of the dom.


DSC_0301
Equally impressive is the world renowned 4000 organ pipes which adds greatly to the exceptional decor. I think there are other four massive organs in the dom and I learned that Wolfgang Mozart was an organist here from 1779 to 1781. If only we could have heard those organ pipes sing some rhymes, I'm sure that would have been awesome.

If you ever consider paying a visit here, please do. I don't think anyone will be disappointed by a quick stop here. The outside is spectacular and the inside awe inspiring. It is well worth the visit. On the plus side there is no entry charge but donations are most welcome. We donated a few euros which got us a postcard of the cathedral. :)

Our World

24 comments:

  1. The insides of the cathedal are exquisite, takes away my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a gorgeous cathedral. Just amazing. And what lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post and beautiful pictures.Greetings Andrzej.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the place. Wonderful inside photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonza photos, i especially like the breathtaking architecture in photos 3, 4 the detail is magnificent :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salzburg Cathedral looks like a truly beautiful building and you have perfectely caputured that beauty in your pictures. Definitely the sort of place I would enjoy to visit...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous, incredible cathedral!! Your captures are breathtaking! I hate to think of all the magnificent things that have been lost or destroyed because of wars! Thank you so much for sharing this today! Have a beautiful week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shots of amazing cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for showing me the inside. I was in that square, but never went inside the cathedral due to time limitation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this absolutely magnificent cathedral with us. I would love to be able to see it in person, but your photo have done a wonderful job in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this spectacular and beautiful series of photos inside the cathedral. They are very bright and beautiful frames that allow us to enjoy its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh really St Peter holding the heaven and hell keys which we often read the jokes in emails thought it was a joke. Wow! Wow! Wow! What a wonderful intricate and lovely ceiling. Awesome! Imagine if Bananaz could sit inside the cathedral hearing those organ pipes would be in total extreme ecstasy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An amazing place! I think my camera would be hard at work capturing every awesome detail - especially the domed roof!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a gorgeous cathedral. Thanks for the lovely tour. your photos are wonderful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cathedrals! This one looks really interesting! And Mozart played here!!! I have to visit it! Thanks for sharing with us this marvelous place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the place and the square and every part of old Salzburg. Always delightful to see the place. Thanks for the lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also think that this place is worth to visit.
    The detail is really great and beautiful.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful arwork inside the Dome. I think I have seen it when I was 13 but really I can't remember !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely cathedral and awesonme architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. the interior is truly impressive, breathtaking! fabulous shots.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, it really is stunning! This is a beautifully written post - it felt like a travel magazine - and your photos are really lovely. I have a theory that we take the best photographs of that which we love. I think that is true here - I felt your awe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonterful photos of a very nice Cathedral!!!
    Austria is a dream!
    Many greetings

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Very majestic place. Heaven on earth exists through your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your cathedral pics are amazing... I feel like I'm actually inside.. love pic number 6 the most... stunning!

    ReplyDelete