Cameron Highlands Tea Plantation, Malaysia

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

RT/WW - Up, close and personal with Venice (Part 2)

The Piazza San Marco or St Mark’s Square is one of the famous landmarks in Venice. If you're a fan of ancient architecture and art, you will absolutely love this city! There are a lot of marvelous buildings around the square, but the most wonderful and famous ones are the St Mark’s Campanile and not to mention, St Mark’s Basilica.

DSC_0548
On the left is the awe-inspiring St. Mark's Basilica with its bell tower in all it's glory. Admission is free to the main church, with extra fees to see certain exquisite museums.


DSC_0590
the mosaics of the basilica of St Marks on its front facade. The cathedral is inspired by both Gothic and Byzantine architecture


DSC_0575
I absolutely love the astonishing interior of the Basilica. The impressive marble floor has an appealing geometric pattern and there are beautiful mosaics on the walls that tell different Bible stories.

DSC_0586
Even though photography is strictly forbidden within the basilica, I couldn't resist taking some shots. Pictured here is the majestic cupola which is almost entirely covered with gold mosaic frescoes so if that isn’t good reason to turn you into a rule breaker I don’t know what is.

DSC_0561
mosaic Cupola over the transept crossing.

DSC_0555
The symbol of St Mark, the winged lion can be found all over Venice.

DSC_0631
The Doge's Palace is located right next to Basilica San Marco. For centuries the Doge’s Palace was the home of the Doge, the seat of the government of the Republic and the Palace of Justice.

DSC_0544
One of the world's famous bars, Harry's Bar.

DSC_0658
Different varieties of Venetian masks are available all over the city. Take a pick.

Overall, I wouldn't say it's the most beautiful piazza I've ever visited in Italy but it's truly unique, relaxing, romantic and a wonderful way to end any Venetian evening in the arms of someone you love.




First Commenter - amandab

36 comments:

  1. How bautiful! Inspires my dreams of travel, for sure!

    Happy Wordless Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. someday, some day soon, I must go to Venice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be in St Mark's square right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so lavish the architecture...love it! must go to venice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful pictures. It must be very difficult to resist. I suppose the rules discourage all but the most dedicated photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole interior of Basilica is really a joy to behold. Goodness....it is like watching Da Vinci Code again! :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you actually go against the rules and took the photos lar? You are such a bad girl. LOL :D

    But hey, if you didn't do so..we won't be able to enjoy this beautiful pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouh....winged lions are a common sight? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Venice, we were there at Christmas. Being able to walk everywhere down all the little alleys is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Beautiful!
    Best,
    Li
    http://twitter.com/LaLicenciada

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Venetian masks are vibrantly colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for sharing!
    I can only travel through my pc monitor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. venice is on my "to visit" list. amazing pics. happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, very beautiful. Makes me want to go visit, but I have up for a trip to Hong Kong first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. MY Favorite Place to visit! Been there three times and I would Love to go again. Still looks the same. Thanks for the happy Memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! And I love those colourful masks :) Happy WW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love Venice, my parents brought me there long ago when I was a teen and was awe-struck with their historical architecture.

    Hope someday I'll be able to bring my kids there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The designs are so intricate. They are real masterpieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Life Ramblings!

    Thanks for dropping by and thanks for the compliments. Your photos are magnificent! Happy Wednesday to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pictures ! If you want to see mine from last year, they are here : http://gattinatravels.blogspot.com/2009/07/venice-with-my-eyes.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi LR, thank you very much for the lovely gift, love and hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The other day I took B to visit ur blog and he said ur pictures are amazing!! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  23. We'd love to go to Venice one day, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful vacation with us.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful pics...I would have tried to take pics too..I always try..the last ones I wasn't supposed to take pictures at was a barenaked ladies concert...nothing as special as the Basilica though....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really magnificent architecture! I love the mosaic Cupola. It looks very Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh btw, i heard venice at night is a ghost town..is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maybe Venice is just for me. I love art

    ReplyDelete
  28. Monica,

    i don't know how true this statement is but it is quite safe to wander around Venice at night. I didn't encounter any ghosts. :D As far as I know there are no 'restricted' areas.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks like an incredible place to visit. And I sure do love those Venetian masks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those detailed frescoes and statues are amazing and still standing after all this time.

    ReplyDelete